When Ryan and I lived in California we used to make a certain kind of breakfast meal on Saturdays consisting of my grandma’s version of oven-roasted potatoes (which, at the time, included a lot of butter), with cheesy scrambled eggs for ryan and fried eggs for me. We named this meal “Barbados” after the J.Cole song “Nobody’s Perfect,” where he raps “Your son out in Barbados / cheese eggs and potatoes.” Weird, but catchy!
Well, this past weekend I was feeling oddly peaceful and wanted to surprise Ryan with breakfast when he woke up (I always wake up earlier than him, but encourage no alarms on Saturday so our bodies naturally wake up when they are supposed to).
I whipped up these potatoes (sans butter), cooked his favorite cheesy eggs (natural/from the farm!), fried eggs for myself and sourdough toast for him. I promise this recipe has next to no actual work; you can watch your fav weekend shows while these roast in your oven. Plus, there are only 4 ingredients (half of which are spices), but still tasty enough your butter-loving besties won’t even complain.
- 1 pound Trader Joe's baby red potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Thoroughly wash all potatoes.
- Cup potatoes into small triangle-like pieces and place in 9x11 oven-safe, glass dish.
- Pour olive oil over potatoes and stir, evenly coating all the pieces.
- Sprinkle on some pepper and salt.
- Finally, add as much turmeric as your heart desires. Stir.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes. Take out, then stir again.
- Place into oven for 20 minutes, take out and serve!